Sunday, February 22, 2015

Shooting Snow

Sorry, I haven't posted in awhile life has been crazy lately. But you're not here for some pity party or excuses, you're here to discuss photojournalism and photography.

 I am still working on my Winter in the Northeast project. I would probably be going better if I actually liked winter and the cold (Cali girl probs).



Some things I have learned about photographing snow is that it is highly light sensitive. In that it reflects light quite well and it doesn't help that it's white...usually. I order to combat its high sensitivity to light I suggest turning your flash off. I played with my flash quite a lot while I was shooting snow and I tend to like the look of my photographs more so when I was not using flash, and just using the light provided by my surroundings. This could come down to personal preference but I would recommend trying both.

Also WEAR GLOVES!!!! I made this mistake in that I did not want to wear them because I thought it wouldn't have as much control of camera as I would like. You know what else makes you lose control of camera, purple fingers. Either way using gloves or not wearing gloves will minimize your use of  the camera, however I suggest that you keep your fingers and not let me freeze off.

I hope some of this helps you or was at the very least entertaining. If you want to see the full collection of post-Juno pics click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment