Thursday, December 11, 2014

Shut It Down: Michael Brown

So I know that this is a photojournalism blog and you are probably not viewing this site for political or cultural criticism. Don't worry I am not about to go on a rant or give a ten step solution for police brutality, racism or poverty. What this post is really about is what it's like to photograph protests, and give some insight about what I learned while photographing the Eric Garner and Michael Brown protests the other night.




***

It was 9 o'clock at night when I ventured onto the uptown track to Times Square 42nd Street, and I'm not gonna lie I was a little anxious and nervous. When I got off the train I proceeded to check and test aperture and shutter speed for the umpteenth time that night. On my way to the meet up location, in the pouring rain,  I called my parents, or more accurately  returned a frantic call and text from them, they were worried that I was going to be arrested that night. For this was my first encounter with photographing protests, and these weren't just any protests but the ones regarding Michael Brown and Eric Garner. The feelings of adrenaline were very real.

I was excited to be documenting something that is very important to history, and I thought I could handle the crowds and the rain. I mean come on I'm a strong, independent woman and I can handle myself. However that was not entirely the case. Here are some things I learned while capturing the elements of the Eric Garner and Michael Brown protests.


1. Be Prepared! Everything from knowing a phone number for a lawyer, just in case you are arrested (you can write this in Sharpie on your arm), protecting your camera from weather conditions, and making sure shutter speed and aperture are adjusted accordingly (protests move fast so make sure shutter speed is up as well as your aperture).


  
2. Lighting is a Pain. In an earlier post I had discussed how important lighting is. Well lighting is a lot easier to deal with when you are the one controlling it. However when you are susceptible to outside sources of lighting, such as retail stores and TIMES FREAKING SQUARE, you don't have much of a choice. You kinda just have to deal with it, and make sure your camera is capable of handling the circumstances. 


3. Being 5' 3" is an Even Bigger Pain! Normally I don't have a problem with my height, I get to wear heels and be average height or play hide and seek really well. But when I want a picture of a crowd from a heightened angle or from far above it sucks!!! Especially when everyone around you is like SIX FOOT! In this moment I realized that I need to invest in a monopod for my camera, which is much more portable than a tripod. 


4. Move Fast. Crowds move fast, you may even have to run from authorities, be prepared and have legs like a track runner. To get a great shot you often need to get ahead of the crowd and you don't want to be running out of breath ten minutes into the protest. Plus too much running can lead to blurry pictures. 


5. Capture the Truth. This is running theme throughout my blog and in the industry of photojournalism. It's not okay to forge or edit a photo just to make a headline. With protests and other political or cultural events this idea is extremely important. Often times an angle or cropping an image a certain way can make a peaceful protest look violent, which is not helpful to the cause or to your own reputation. So just remember it's about the truth, not the headline.





Later this week I will be posting pictures from the protest, so stay tuned. Remember don't just do it for the Gram, tell a story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment